I like all kinds of heroines--sweet, shy, nerdy, funny, loud, hyper, innocent, bawdy, practical, impulsive--just like I like all kinds of humans.
But I must admit, I have a special place in my heart for the fierce heroine. She does not need people to like her. She is basically kind but she is not nice.
While utterly lovable, these women don't go down easy instead they protect, they bite back, and are oh so much fun. They don't have to kick ass literally--this is not a physical thing but a personality thing.
Bring on the fierce, the mean, and the strong!
In no particular order, here are some of my favorites...
1. The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith, practical too the bone Amber just can't let the stupid be stupid. Great Science Fiction Epic Romance.
3. Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Rachel is tenacity and grit. I adore Gabe's speech to her about why he loves her so.
4. Big Bad Beast (The Pride Series) by Shelly Laurenston Really, I could have chosen a large portion of Laurenston's ladies but Dee-Ann makes people uncomfortable and doesn't care and her love story was a long time coming in the series.
5. Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne Low Down is awesome. That is all.
6. Lush (A Delicious Novel) by Lauren Dane Mary has a nice set of boundaries.
7. Painted Faces by LH Cosway Freda has great advice on how to handle muggers. Take note.
8. Kinked (A Novel of the Elder Races) by Thea Harrison Harpy, anyone? She will kick you in the face--verbally and then with her boot.
10. Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole Evil Sorceress. Yes. Yes.
Clearly, it is harder to be historically mean and fierce, blooming in the modern age, and if you are a paranormal chick you rock it.
Who are your favorite fierce heroines of romance?
Vote for the best of the best on the Goodreads list: Fierce: Best Romantic Heroines with Attitude.
This list goes out Sunny who wanted her heroines a feisty but I decided she needed fierce instead. You rock!